99designs : First Winning


Who doesn't need money? Of course everybody wants it. I'm looking for it at my own. And this is a short story about me in a journey of finding a happiness. My family is not the very rich one, where you can ask for something as just buy it straight away. I want to buy something expensive, but I don't have the money. I try to search in the internet, how to get money online. I don't get the real answer that I want. Many of them are fake or just Pay per Click that you can't really depend on. Until I find this real freelance or part-time job. It's not a real job though, it's a contest.

At my first year at High School, I took an extracurricular of Graphic Design. The teacher teach me how to use Corel Draw and Photoshop. I fell in love with it. I spent much time looking browsing around the internet looking for good graphic design tutorial. I study hard to improve my skill. From zero to be something. Whenever my school have an event I'm the one who they look ing for to make a poster for the event. I don't get paid any cent for it. I thought it was a good chance to improve my skill.

With my only laptop and a mobile broadband modem, I start my quest in 99design. I've entered 9 contest when I got my first winning. It's a logo contest, making a logo for a Thailand restaurant. I big leap for me. Since then I decided to become a great designer. So I still join some contest and improve my skill everyday.

This is the logo that make me winning the contest.


It's not an instant winning. I work so many hours on this. I do mistakes and so many revisions.




I changed color scheme from red-orange to orange-green-black, also changes the font several times. And the contest holder decide to use the 'mozaic' tree rather than the 'doodle' tree. And with the begining font. It's not a very good logo, but because the contest holder like what I've done there, he chose me. Overall, I beat 142 entries by 34 other designers to win a $200 prize.

A $200 price is a rather big money for teenager on High School like me, moreover, it's Indonesia. It's about Rp 1.900.000,- in Indonesian Rupiah. I spent it for a Hanvon tablet - because Wacom one is more expensive, and I bought a new Wrangler jeans. That's such a wonderful time for me. And then I realized, that the design world is much much bigger than I thought. I still trying improve my skill recently. And I'm happy making design. Right now, I'm doing hand-lettering and still struggling on 99designs to get more winning.

Laurensius Adi

1 comment:

Instagram